Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Thursday Push!

TGIAF!  Thank God it's almost Friday!

I often hear people talking about how much life sucks, but life is what you make it.  When I find myself feeling super frustrated with something, all I want to do is blame someone else for the way I'm feeling; then I give myself a reality check.  If a particular something is making me unhappy, then I need to take the initiative to change it. 

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

If you've come up with a solution to a problem that doesn't actually solve the problem, it's time to think of a new solution - clearly.

If you find yourself making comments like, 'drama loves me' or 'drama follows me,' then I'm willing to bet that you're letting drama take over your life.  When negativity show it's ugly face, whether it's negativity from another person or our own thoughts, ignore it.  My fav Reba episode (yes, I watch Reba when I can) tells us to 'LETITGO' - it has a bigger effect when it's just one word.

Over the last 6-7 years, my faith has been tested.  I have had some really low moments in my life that even my family is unaware of.  These moments have been strictly between me and God.  In these bad moments, I remember praying to God, yelling at God, and begging Him to solve my problem.  The problem didn't go away.  I started to wonder what I did to make God so mad at me and what I did to deserve the life I had.

It took years of this pain until I finally just quit.  I basically threw my hands up and said "FINE, GOD!  Have it Your way."  And so He did.

I started to take baby steps to a better life.  I began to round-house kick negative thoughts (think Chuck Norris) and, most importantly, I started taking responsibility for my own actions.

My healing wasn't immediate; to be honest, I didn't even know God was working in me.  I'd given up on Him, but the cool thing about God (among a million cool things) is that He never gives up on us.  He's there, we just have to give Him a chance.

It may seem like I'm a bit off track here - sometimes my mind does do crazy things - but I'm trying to show the relationship between faith and action.  Though prayer is necessary, we've also got to be willing to take the steps with God toward healing.  As a result of all of this, I've started to pray differently, too.  Instead of asking God to 'take it away,' I ask Him to lead me to healing.  Likewise, when I pray for someone I love, I don't ask God to 'fix it,' but to use me and help me love everyone just as they are.

The moments in my life that bring me sadness just thinking about them also give me great joy.  Had I not given up on trying to control my life, had I not gotten mad at God, I would not have the peace I have now.  I am not saying I'm never sad/hurt- you've all read my blog enough to know that I constantly have lows - I am just saying that I've learned to trust God a LOT more.

The most influencial Christian in my life is an old youth pastor of mine.  Jimbo loves people unconditionally, trusts God, and never, ever, ever, ever, ever passes judgement.  I got a message from him yesterday that made me look up an old favorite passage in the Bible.  Many of us know Philippians 4:13, but he reminded me to read the verses leading up to that one:

Philippians 4:11-13 (NIV)

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

This, my friends, is what has gotten me through some rough times and continues to keep my spirits  high.

Let's not forget to thank God it's almost Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment