Monday, January 17, 2011

Time Management: 6 Tricks of a Busy Bee (My Plan)


I started my classes last week.  At this point, I have 1 online course (Communications), a class on Saturdays from 9-2:30  (Computer Appl/Science - my teached didn't even show up!), and a class on Sundays (Anatomy) from 9-2:40.  My Computer Science class will be done in March and I will start another online course (Humanities), a Tuesday night course (Medical Terminology) and a new Saturday class that is, thankfully, signicantly shorter - 1-2:50 (Basic Orientation class that is mandatory).  I have to admit, I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed thinking about what is going to happen to all the stuff I used to get done on the weekends!

Somehow, I have to factor in my 39 hour/week job, classes, house chores, cooking, baby, working out and relationship time.  I haven't really perfected my list, but I believe having these basic rules will help me survive the next 15 weeks.  Here we go:

1.  Create a basic To-Do list.  Now, you may be a little different than I am, but I cannot inundate myself with insane To-Do Lists that pin point time and day; my life is just simply not that organized.  But I do need to keep a basic To-Do list for things that need to be done daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc.  I haven't yet perfected this system yet, either, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve!  To be continued in future posts...
2.  Don't save it all for the weekends.  This is SO important because now my weekends and time with my son have been cut drastically, so the last thing I want to do is be away from him all day and come home to tidy up the house.  I've decided to break up my chores.  For example, I used to have 'laundry day' on Saturdays, but I have recently started to do it throughout the week; this has made doing laundry a lot less time consuming.  I've decided that I will fold all the laundry as it comes out of the dryer and set it in my bedroom to be put away after Stevie goes to bed (8:00pm). 
3. Combine tasks when possible.  Personal Example: I read/study while I'm doing cardio.  There is no reason why I can't do both, plus the mind is sharper and more alert during working out anyways, so it's sort of a perfect opportunity.  Another great example: clean up as you cook.  I try to do the dishes while I'm cooking so the end clean up is minimal.  I am ALL about mutlitasking.
4.  Switch it up.  There is nothing more mundane than doing the same thing every single day.  Don't get me wrong, I do like to have some sort of consistency, but I feel like I lose the meaning of living when I know exactly what is going to come every day.  I recently started to wake up earlier twice a week to work out and maybe get a load of laundry in before the house is up and running.  Listen, I like sleep as much as you do, but there is something so satisfying about having a small part of my tasks done before the rest of the family is even awake!  Plus, it's a great opportunity for a little 'me time.'  If i can get up at 4 am to do this (and I am not a morning person), you can get up a little earlier to do it too. 
5. Don't skimp on time for yourself.  My boyfriend is a busy body; I love him to death, but sometimes I wonder why he doesn't see how wonderful the opportunity to 'just be' is.  Yesterday for about an hour and a half, I had a chance to take a nap!  Stevie was taking a nap, dishes were done, laundry was done - no, my house was not immaculate, but is that even realistic with a child and boyfriend (who is much like an overgrown child himself, haha)?  In addition to resting, time for yourself includes taking care of your body.  Your body needs cardiovascular exercise to be healthy.  I can think of a million reasons why I don't want to exercise and sometimes I succeed in talking myself out of it, but the honest truth is that you benefit greatly from it.  Not only does it get your heart going and aid in weight loss, but you do feel fantastic when you begin to incorporate exercise into your daily (or almost daily) life.  Remember that doing things that are beneficial for you is not selfish, it's necessary.
6. Don't forget to nurture relationships.  I have failed pretty miserably here.  I maintain a clean house, I provide food for my family, I make my bed every day, but all of that is worthless if I forget to acknowledge and love the people I do it for.  Take time to enjoy watching your child/children play and take time alone with your significant other.  Speaking of, who wants to watch Stevie so big Steven and I can go out?  ;).



No comments:

Post a Comment