Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: Deep South Dish
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3 cups of oatmeal
- 1-3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (Deep South does 3/4 cup)
Have everything at room temperature before starting. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening together until fluffy; add both sugars and blend together. Add the eggs, one a time, until blended in, then add the extract. Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer. Add the salt, oatmeal, and flour and using a wooden spoon mix together. Add the chocolate chips and nuts; gently stir them in.
Use a small cookie scoop, or drop by large, rounded tablespoonfuls unto a baking sheet sprayed with Baker's Joy or covered in parchment paper or a Silpat. Bake one sheet at a time, on the center rack of the oven at 350 degrees F, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden brown just around the edges. They will appear underdone, but if you go too long they will be overcooked. Cool 2 to 3 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove with a spatula to a wire rack to fully cool. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.