Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How to CVS.

Good morning, folks!

I have gotten a few questions about how to CVS, so I have created a little 'How to CVS' and posted my planned transactions below.

First of all, you have to have a CVS Extra Care Card.  You can get one by going into the store (quickest way to obtain it) or by going here.

The following are all ways that CVS helps you save:

Extra Bucks (EBs):  Weekly, CVS puts out an ad for specials (go here to find your local ad); the ad runs from Sunday to Saturday.  In the ad, you'll find products that will earn you money back.  For example, this week you can buy 6 12 packs of Pepsi products for $20 and get $10 back in EBs.  EBs are like money and can be used to roll over and earn more EBs (which we'll discuss in a second) or you can use them for something else you need on your next transaction.

Quarterly EBs: This requires creating a FREE online account with CVS, but it is worth the 2 minutes it takes to do it.  Quarterly EBs are based on how much you spend each quarter and it's an extra bit of money that you can print out and take to the store to spend.  SO awesome.

Email Deals: Frequently, I get deals from CVS in my inbox ranging from 10% of beauty supplies to $5 off $25 purchase.  These are incredibly valuable and I strongly urge you to create an account, even if only for these deals.

Printable In-Store Coupons: Here are some printable coupons that CVS offers to help save even more money.  Pair these with a manufacturer's coupon (printed or clipped) and you can walk away with boat loads of stuff for next to nothing.

I have also heard that CVS sells a magazine called "Reinventing Beauty" for 0.99 cents that has CVS coupons, but I will confirm today and let you all know. 

When searching through the ad, look for the things that give you the most EBs (usually $10).  Then find the ones that you'll have to spend the least amount on (usually $20).  Start there.

Now, let's put it to practice:

Suzie's CVS Plan 1/9-1/15

Transaction #1

The Deal (p 3): Buy $20 in selected products, get $10 EB
3 Starbucks Frappucinno (4 pack) @ $4.99
2 Izze Drinks (4 pack) @ $3.99
Subtotal before coupons: $22.95 (I have confirmed that it's supposed to count BEFORE coupons, so I will experiment with this today and let you know how it goes)
Use (2) $1/1 Starbucks Frapp. (printable here - you have to create a label, but you can do it twice for 2 coupons!)
Use (2) $1/1 Izze Drinks (printable here - 'Like' them on FB and print the coupon twice)
Total Out of Pocket (OOP): $18.95 - get $10 EBs

(You can do this in a separate transaction if you like, but I've decided to do it together)

The Deal (p2): Buy 1 King size Reeses PB cup Minis, get $1.59 EB and/or Snickers bar, get 0.89 EB
1 King size Reeses PB cup Minis - $1.59
1 Snickers bar - 0.89
Total OOP: $2.48 - get $2.48 EB (essentially, these are FREE!)

Grand Total OOP for Transaction #1: $21.43 get $12.48 EBs
** note, I have $18.50 worth of EBs, so I will pay $2.93 OOP for all of this stuff!


Transaction #2
(I will show you what MY plan is based on coupons I got in the paper and the fact that I don't have a dishwasher, so I don't need Finish products - go to I Heart Saving Money to find out where to get printable coupons and make the best deal for you.)

The Deal (p4) - Spend $20 on Lysol, Finish, or Airwick Products - Get $10EB
1 Airwick Freshmatic Ultra Starter Kit - $6
1 Airwick Scented Oil Refills  $5
2 Airwick Freshmatic Refill @ $5 each
1 Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner - $3 (I don't have to buy this, but I have a coupon and need it!)
Subtotal Before Coupons: $24
Use 1 $4/1 Freshmatic Ultra Starter Kit
Use 1 $1/1 Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Use B1G1 FREE Airwick Freshmatic Refill
Use Get any warmer unit FREE with Airwick Scented Oil Fragrance
Total after Coupons: $14 + I got a FREE warmer unit for buying the Airwick Scented Oils
TOTAL OOP: $1.52 - get $10 EB

What you decide to do from here is your decision.  You can take those $10 EBs and save it for next week or you can use it for deal on p12 of the ad - Buy 3 Nature Valley or General Mills Cereal for $10, get $4.  USE PRINTABLE COUPONS listed on I Heart Saving Money and get everything for free! (excluding tax).

There are so many options!  I will probably take this money and get Aveeno Products that are on sale Buy One, Get One 50% off because I have coupons as well as a Rebate for 1 free bottle of Aveeno with the purchase of any free product.

Yes, it does take a little time to scope out the deals and match them with coupons and I know EVERYONE claims they just don't have time for it.  I will pay less than $5 out of pocket for over $50 worth of products and have $10 EBs left to spend all because I dedicated 30-60 minutes a couple nights a week to finding the best deal possible, so I'd say it's worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment