Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mama's Chipped Beef and Gravy

Yes, this actually is my Mama's chipped beef and gravy - sometimes better known as 'S**t on a Shingle.'

I decided to switch it up and serve it on Cheese Croissants, but I definitely prefer good old fashioned white toast.

I had to learn a few tricks after making this a couple of times because my mom evidently just goes on auto-pilot when she makes it and can't recall how to make it when you ask...either that or she's hiding something.  In any case, she can't fool me and my recipe tastes exactly like my Mama's.


What you will need:

5 packs Budding Beef
1 cup Flour
1 cup COLD Water
1/2 cup Milk
1 Tbsp Butter
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat the Butter in a non-stick skillet (medium heat); when melted, add the chopped up Beef and cook for about 5 minutes (this allows the flavor of the Beef to 'come out' more).

Meanwhile, wisk 1/2 cup Flour and 1/2 cup COLD Water.  Using the cold water with flour gets all the lumps out.  Set aside.

Slowly pour Milk into skillet with Beef and bring to a boil.  Slowly wisk in Flour/Water mixture and lower heat (low-medium).  Wisk together the remaining 1/2 cup Flour and 1/2 cup COLD Water and slowly pour into skillet, stirring continuously.  Remove from heat when desired thickness is reached.

Note: Use less Flour to make the mixture thinner and more to make it thicker.  ALWAYS mix the flour with cold water before adding to heat.  Failure to do so will give you a lumpy mixture.

Serve on whatever bread/rolls/biscuits you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment