Friday, August 10, 2012

the 'me' generation.

So, here's the thing...
I've had a really hard time blogging lately.  The reason is because I have a different view of the whole blogging thing now.

When I stopped to focus on school, I also stopped reading most blogs in general unless something appealed to me on Facebook.  When I started reading them again, I was a bit startled by how many of the blogs I 'follow' are (seemingly) incredibly self-absorbed.  I actually can't read most of the blogs on my reading list anymore because I try to avoid things that cause me to feel negative and, honestly, I have gotten borderline frustrated while reading.

Before you get upset with me, I'm not saying ALL bloggers are self-absorbed and I AM saying that I have fallen under that category.  As unintentional as it may be, it's still there.  Something has just, very suddenly, started to rub me the wrong way.

So, basically I'm in a bit of a pickle here because I love writing and being silly and sharing my life, but

Am I patting myself on the back too much?
 
 
 
I know this has all changed because of my walk with Christ; that I can never share too much, so I'm cool with talking about it.  I also know that John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" is really speaking to me and LET ME TELL YOU it's been quite humbling and frustrating all at the same time.


It's not just in the blogger world, but every day conversations where I've started to notice how many people use the word 'I' or 'me.'  I've begun to notice how many people can turn conversation back to themselves, how many people make choices because based on what's easiest for them, and how many people get frustrated when things don't go the way they wanted them to.




Again, I'm not excluding myself here.
Every time I get annoyed about doing something that is for the better good of my family, there's a bit of selfishness involved.

We shouldn't do things for people because it's our 'role' or because we have to, we should do things for people because we love them.

The quicker we get away from thinking or saying "Why should I?" or "What's in it for me?" or "How can I be the happiest?" and begin by reminding ourselves that we should be driven by love, the less frustration, anger, and grudges we will have.

And that is truly freeing.

The good thing is, all of this is beginning to make me much more aware of my own actions and reactions to people.  The bad thing is, it's also beginning to make me much more aware of other's actions and reactions.

I know I can't control what other people do, but I can definitely change my own actions and I can encourage other people to consider others before themselves.

So, here's my encouragement:
Think before you act/react.

Is it really that serious that your significant other leaves dirty socks on the couch?  I mean, it's gross, but it's not that serious.
Should you really buy that super expensive shirt (or whatever) because you soooo deserve it...even though you can't pay your credit card bill?
Should you really tailgate the person in front of you for going slowly and pass them whilst giving the finger because they had the audacity to keep you up?  Are you really so special that it's okay to cut someone off because you have somewhere to be?
Do your kids really deserve to get yelled at for whatever slightly annoying thing he/she is doing today?
Does your coworker really deserve that attitude?
Does anyone really deserve that attitude?

Just for a day, try to put someone else's wants/needs before your own.
And don't just say you are, really do it.
Having a servant's heart isn't the same as not caring about yourself.
I know it sounds weird, but giving (physically and emotionally) until it hurts is probably one of the greatest feelings ever.

Stay tuned for my post on how the most important thing in life isn't to be happy.
GASP!


No comments:

Post a Comment